List:       mandrake-expert
Subject:    Re: [expert] HTML/multipart mail (was Mandriva 2006)
From:       David Guntner <davidg () akamail ! com>
Date:       2005-09-27 19:42:49

Bill Mullen grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 13:19, Hawkwind wrote:
> > The HTML post I'm not quite sure about.  I use gmail's standard reply
> > to an email so not sure how you got HTML and no one else is getting
> > it.  Might check your settings as no one else has mentioned my emails
> > ever coming across as HTML in the past year or so that I've been using
> > Gmail.  If you know of a way that I need to change it on my end,
> > please let me know and I'll gladly change it.
>
> When I view the raw source of the above mail message, I find that the
> body of it is in two parts, as follows:

[deletia]

> IOW, the entire body of the message is comprised of just these two
> blocks, both of which are base64-encoded. As you can see, the second
> block is, in fact, base64-encoded HTML. Moreover, any MUA that cannot
> natively decode base64 would presumably be unable to render anything
> intelligible at all from these mails.

Yep, Hawkwind - Gmail is sending multipart mail.  Both in HTML and plain text
(which is even more of a space waster than just HTML mail is).  You might not
be able to turn it off on your own - complain to the Gmail folks that you
need the ability to send plain text messages, not just their default of
sending messages that are both HTML and plain text.  Otherwise, they might
not know they have users who want that feature.

               --Dave