List:       mandrake-expert
Subject:    Re: [expert] A must list of services?
From:       Martin Fahrendorf <fahrendorf () helix-gmbh ! net>
Date:       2005-05-11 10:10:25

Am Mittwoch, 11. Mai 2005 10:28 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Monday 18 Apr 2005 22:31, Syed Mamun Raihan wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I recently upgraded Mandrake 2005 limited edition to Mandriva 2006
> > (cooker). After upgrade I found the keyboard is not working while
> > GUI/X/Kde is loaded. Then I restarted in interactive mode and
> > disabled most services and found the keyboard is fine. So I finally
> > disabled most services except the following,
> > 1. alsa
> > 2. dm
> > 3. harddrake
> > 4. network
> > 5. shorewall
> > 6. udev
> > 7. wine
> > 8. xfs
> > 9. xinetd
> >
> > I dont have any clue which one is causing keyboard problem. However
> > everything is fine now. Since linux is installed in my laptop for
> > the purpose internet, music, matlab and maple and used by my
> > os-ignorant wife and myself(windows hater!) can I disable any other
> > service (like xinetd!) or do I need to enable some more service
> > (like freshclam!).
> >
> > Thoughful suggestion will be much of help!
> >
> > Point to ponder: If system can run with such few services then all
> > other services should not be started on request rather than on
> > startup?
>
> Did you ever find out what was causing the problem?  I have a similar
> problem.

As i switched to kde3.3 I had this problem too. To solve this, i disable
the dm service and added a line to inittab for starting kdm (like
x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/kdm -nodaemon). After a restart (telinit 3;
telinit 5) everything was up again. The strange thing however is, that
the keybord is working normal if I restart the X server (Im not sure
for this) or start the X server after logging in at console level
(runlevel 3).

> Anne

Martin