List:       mandrake-expert
Subject:    Re: [expert] slimy MandrakeSoft - deceptive advertising
From:       Juan Luis Baptiste <jbaptiste () cable ! net ! co>
Date:       2005-02-17 4:29:06

El Mié 16 Feb 2005 22:02, bandds@airnet.com.au escribió:
> With all due respect, I don't think the offer was the problem,
> rather how it was put.  This sort of advertising is rampant in
> our comercial world, and it always comes across as deceptive.
>
> Big headline: FREE FREE FREE
> Fine print:  you have to pay for it
>
> It leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.  How about if the big
> headline read  "Special Offer - 25% off Mandrake Club Membership"
>
> Now that would have elicitted a quite different response.

I totally agree. What I thought at the beginning when I read the mail subject
was that I could have a Mandrake Club account for free for three months, then
when I finished reading all the mail and saw it was merely a 25% disccount I
felt very disappointed, as the announce seems to be intencionally misleading
so Mandrakesoft could get our attention in the email.

But to the original poster, if you don't want to pay for Mandrake Club
*service* yo don't have to, nobody is forcing you to do so right? the code
for all free software apps that you can find in mandrake club you can find
them freely available on the net. Just go and compile them your self or make
your own rpm's and share them with the other persons you feel they think like
you on this. Or go and use Debian if you think everything *must* be free.

Also, can I ask you, as you must know, free software isn't about getting
things for free, it's also about sharing and helping each other. Mandrake and
free software in general have given you *a lot* for free, but what have you
give them back??? I would looooove to know it.

Cheers,
--
Juan Luis Baptiste
http://www.merlinux.org