List:       mandrake-expert
Subject:    [expert] Recovering a damaged hard disk
From:       Juan Luis Baptiste <juancho () phreaker ! net>
Date:       2004-01-11 14:27:20

Hi,

I got my hands on an old pentium celeron 400Mhz, 64MB RAM, and 4GB hard
disk, in wich I was plannig to install cooker. The box came with win98.
The first thing I did before the install was to run scandisk to see how
was the hard disk. Unfortunatedly, the disk had a LOT of bad clusters
(more than 1200!). In theory, scandisk marked them as "bad" so that
can't be used anymore. But when installing mdk 9.2 or cooker, both
installations freezes in some point when copying packages to disk, I
suppose because the installation process was trying to copy packages
into those bad clusters. My questions is, is there another tool to mark
those bad clusters so I can install on that disk, or I'm simply loosing
my time?

cheers,

Juan Luis Baptiste
http://www.merlinux.org