List:       mandrake-expert
Subject:    Re: [expert] Mandrake Timezone/Date Problems
From:       dfox () m206-157 ! dsl ! tsoft ! com (dfox)
Date:       2002-06-30 17:08:10

> when a system drops to 'save energy sleep mode', then is awoke,
> there should be a routine that checks for shutdown time from osc,

I guess that would be more useful for laptops than desktops. I don't
use laptops and have so infrequent access to them and am wondering if
there's sufficient clock 'drift' on them compared to desktops, or
even compared to smart clocks in other appliances. (i.,e there are
smart clocks out there that pull time from WWV codes or whatever
other trusted / reliabvle sources the technology supports) so you
never have to reset them from a power outage.

Personally, running ntp to a reliable host (aka tick.usno.navy.mil)
like USNO atomic clocks or others is decent enough, and my clock
doesn't drift that much. But for desktops it sounds like it would
be easier just to run ntp more frequently; laptops are less likely
to be connected to the network than desktops, and they are more likely
to need a 'sleep' mode.

Of course, if you want to be geeky, you could get your offset from
your GPS receiver and ditch 'standard' time completely: the gps
would figure your current mean sun time or what have you, correcting
a mingte for each 17 miles travelled, all automatically :).

> if linux is going to rule world, it is going to have to
> wake up with world and tell correct time.

Interesting point. When I first started using linux (1994?) it was
the only OS I knew of (besides BSD) that would autocorrect for
daylight savings. Prior to that, I had to set the DOS/windows clock
twice a year. Nowadays, other devices (such as my VCR) autocorrect
for DST; that's pretty modern technology. My microwave still has to
be reset after a power outage though :(.

["message.footer" (text/plain)]

Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com