List:       mandrake-expert
Subject:    Re: [expert] What can Mandrake & KDE learn from the Mac OS X interface?
From:       J Grant <jg () jguk ! org>
Date:       2001-12-14 2:22:31

Hi!

David Guntner wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 10:58:05AM +0900, J Grant wrote:
> > :
> > :Mandrake could you change the "software manager" application, now when
> > :you have finished installing/upgrading it says "Quit" that's a little
> > :abrupt, how about "Finish"
>
> Overly nit-pickey.  "Quit" is no more "abrupt" than "Finish" is, IMO.
Just an example of how things could be.

> > :Also when loading it puts a popup box title Input, that is not very
> > :informative, the text says "In order to run "rpmdrake" with root's
> > :privileges, additional information is required" that is a little
> > :ambiguous. How about '"Enter root password to run "rpmdrake"' ? that is
> > :better i think..
>
> Did you take the time to actually read the pop-up window? :-)  Yes, it says
> that above the box where you type the password in, and then next to the box
> where you type it in, it says "Password for root."  I fail to see anything
> ambiguous about it.

It was overcomplicating the dialog box, dont fill it with info that is
un-necessary was my point.

> Sorry if I'm being blunt here, but if you want Mac OS X, then run a Mac
> with OS X.  This is Linux, and the desktop environment you're talking about
> is KDE.  Although I'm sure someone could create a Mac theme for it,
> assuming that one doesn't already exist for it.... :-)

I definitely do not want an OS X machine, I posed the question what can
we learn as we all know the Linux system is not perfect (if it was there
would not be revisions). All OS's have some good features, reviewing OS
X for features to borrow MS/Apple style is a good idea IMO :) KDE is
designed similarly to windows for the reason that windows does have a
reasonably good interface.

JG

["message.footer" (text/plain)]

Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com