List:       mandrake-expert
Subject:    Re: [expert] DNS and normal user problem with runsocks/ssh in mdk8.1
From:       J Grant <jg () jguk ! org>
Date:       2001-12-04 7:24:07

Hello

Vincent Danen wrote:

> What do you mean "recently"?  openssh 3.0.2p1 came out today.  How
> recent would you like things to be?  2.9.9p2 is fairly recent; openssh
> was updated after the 8.1 release.

Sorry, I was unaware it was that fresh off the mirrors!, but 3.0.1 has
been out a while i believe as my BSD machine has that.

> That being said, 3.0.2p1 will be available in updates soon.
>
> But I think part of your problem is you're mixing redhat packages with
> mandrake packages... there are some subtle differences that may be
> causing your problems.  Can't you find "Mandrakeized" versions of what
> you want?  Or at least wait for more than a few hours before deciding
> to grab a redhat package (ala the openssh release that was done today
> and available on mirrors since, I think, Saturday (I only received
> notice that it was up today, BTW)).

I could not find "Mandrakeized" versions of runsocks or socks5, if you
would like to make them and release them they are available this is the
site I have just been trying to get to work.

ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/falsehope/home/gomez/socks5/

runsocks is a wrapper to work with my socks4 server.

However when i have tried export
SSH_SOCKS_SERVER=socks://juser@socks-server:1080/x.x.x.0/24
(this works with my BSD machine)

However if i type "ssh myhost.com" it does not connect, that was the
reason I downloaded the new version of SSH, but that did not work as the
libcrypt.so.2 was not there, I have not had time to install the new
openssl libs for that.

I found one reference to needing "--with-socks4" at compile time, but
that is all so far.

I have just rpm --rebuild the socks5 src rpm from that ftp and it works
fine with telnet through the SOCKS4 server setup in /etc/libsocks5.conf
but if I use ssh i get an error while as normal user

$ runsocks ssh -l myuser myhost.com
ssh: error while loading shared libraries: libsocks5_sh.so: cannot open

when running as root

runsocks ssh -l myuser myhost.com
ssh: myhost.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

It only works if I specify the IP when as root

this is odd as it works fine with telnet from a normal user using DNS

But I only want a working system, there are 2 ways I have tried to use
ssh through the firewall and neither work correctly, is there something
I am missing? could mdk include a mdk version of runsocks/socks5 on cd3
etc? I think it cant only be me with this problem.

If you know how to fix any of these problems please let me know, running
as root is not my ideal login :)

JG

["message.footer" (text/plain)]

Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com