List:       mandrake-cooker-ppc
Subject:    Re: airport card
From:       Dick Visser <dick () tienhuis ! nl>
Date:       2001-07-18 12:12:56

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Ben Reser wrote:

> WEP works fine.
> Get the iwconfig package and set the enc option.
> It wants the WEP encryption key in hex so if yo're used to typing text in you
> might have to convert it.

Thanks it does indeed work on my closed-WEP-network :)
All I needed to do was provide an essid name and a key:
iwconfig eth1 essid "mynetworkname"
iwconfig eth1 key A235D2FD88

This key is use is NOT the password that you use in MacOS to access the
airport basestation! You have to choose Equivalent Password somewhere in
the basestation-config utility and then it spits out a hex key that you
van use in linux.

Gehe now I see that this 10 digit "equivalent key" as they nicely call it,
is just the password in hex. Damn how these Apple guys can always
masquerade real terms as userfriendly, dummy-understandable terms :)

I'll go have a coffee outside with my now wireless linux ibook....

--
                             Dick Visser
  *    ***               TIENHUIS consultancy