List:       mandrake-cooker-ppc
Subject:    Re: RAID not being detected/saved?
From:       Christiaan Welvaart <cjw () daneel ! dyndns ! org>
Date:       2005-01-27 23:43:24

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Joshua Kugler wrote:

> I just did a new install yesterday.  Based on my experiences with RAID last
> time, I did a standard install, and left my second drive alone.
>
> After I booted into the new OS, all was working.  I fired up diskdrake and
> went in to expert mode.  I unmounted /home, and deleted it.  I then added the
> remaining space on hda to a Linear-RAID group.  I added *all* of hdb to the
> same linear RAID group.  That gave a drive of about 59GB.  It formated and
> mounted just fine, and I copied the contents of /home back to it (in this
> case, only one home directory).
>
> I rebooted after that, and now I am being told:
>
> -----------
> /dev/md0:'
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem
> (and not a swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt,
> and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
> 	e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>
> fsck.ext3: Invalid argument while tyring to open /dev/md0
> -----------
>
> When I try to "mount /home":
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md0, or too many
> mounted files systems
> (and a message about making sure I'm not using ide-scsi)
>
> 1) /dev/md0 does exist.
> 2) I tried modprobe'ing raid0 and raid1, but no go.
>
> Here is some output from pdisk:
>
> Edit /dev/hda -
> Command (? for help): p
>
> Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hda'
>  #:                type name         length   base     ( size )
>  1: Apple_partition_map Apple            63 @ 1
>  2:     Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap      2048 @ 64       (  1.0M)
>  3:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Linux ext3  4096000 @ 2112     (  2.0G)
>  4:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Linux ext3  1024000 @ 4098112  (500.0M)
>  5:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Linux ext3  6144000 @ 5122112  (  2.9G)
>  6:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Linux ext3  2048000 @ 11266112 (1000.0M)
>  7:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap        1638400 @ 13314112 (800.0M)
>  8:                                65088736 @ 14952512 ( 31.0G)
>
> Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=80041248 (38.2G)
> DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
>
> Edit /dev/hdb -
> Command (? for help): p
>
> Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hdb'
>  #:                type name     length   base     ( size )
>  1: Apple_partition_map Apple        63 @ 1
>  2:                            60058592 @ 64       ( 28.6G)
>
> Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=60058656 (28.6G)
> DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

> Hmm...time to try LVM?

I guess on x86 it uses auto-detection of md setups. That very likely
doesn't work with apple partition maps because there is no partition type
defined for that. It should be possible to fix this but AFAIK the
auto-detection is deprecated and it probably involves a kernel patch - too
much trouble (:

You probably need to setup an md/LVM/EVMS/... configuration where the dm
magic is done by a script (the initrd if the raid/lvm volume is the root).
One thing you can try is to use raidstart from the raidtools package, but
you would need to write a raidtab file if you don't have one. (see man
raidstart and man raidtab ...)

[ or use mdadm instead? ]

    Christiaan