List:       mandrake-cooker-ppc
Subject:    Re: OT: ready-to-use utility/script... to monitor network status and...
From:       "Bob Sloots" <bob () sloots ! nl>
Date:       2003-03-31 11:42:35

Harald T Zipko said:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:08:27 +0200 (CEST), Bob Sloots wrote:
> hello bob,

>> I don't know either. I have heard of a modem-hack so the modem will
>> reestablish the connection, but never tried (to implement) it. What I
>> do
>
> which modem is used in this hack? (unfortunately) we are forced to use
> the alcatel adsl speedtouch home device (for the austrian telekom
> officially does not support or even allow other adsl-modem devices
> unless an official writing is sent to the provider to be allowed to use
> another etc... etc....)

I'm not sure but I think the Alcatel you mentioned (look for it with google)

> since a couple of hours I tried to reestablish this connection with the
> mentioned service and status webmin module: no succsess in relaunching
> the adsl-connection :( (but many successes in getting email
> notifications the service is down...)

I also tried to use webmin script with no success, e-mail works fine (:>)

>> is (indeed) run a crontab-job (every 5 minutes) that checks for the
>> pptp-manager and, if gone, restarts the adsl-connection.
>
> I am desperate and curious - of course - too: what exactly did you
> define in that crontab-job??

I don't have access to the script at the moment, from my memory...
It's a simple script:
- check if pptp is running (ps aux | grep pptp | grep -v grep)
- if not, remove socket-file created by pptp
- start rc.adsl-script (standard adsl script found on internet)

Bob.