List:       mandrake-cooker-ppc
Subject:    Re: status of the nv driver
From:       Stew Benedict <sbenedict () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-11-29 0:53:11

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Thomas Geenen wrote:

> hi all
> trying to get an geforce2 mx400 pci card to work on my old world g3
> on board card ati 3d rage II mach64 GT
> (i have been trying to get an old s3 card to work but i gave up on that)
> however there are some problems
> the card is recognized fine but my second screen remains blank
> i am however able to move my cursor "out of the screen" screen1
> logfile says (last part)
>
> (==) NV(1): Backing store disabled
> (==) NV(1): Silken mouse enabled
> (**) Option "dpms"
> (**) NV(1): DPMS enabled
> (II) Entity 0 shares no resources
> (II) Entity 1 shares no resources
> (II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
> (II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
> (II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
> (II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
> (II) Initializing built-in extension LBX
> (II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
> (II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
> (II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
> (II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
> (II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
> (**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
> (**) Mouse0: Protocol: "PS/2"
> (**) Option "CorePointer"
> (**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
> (**) Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
> (==) Mouse0: Buttons: 3
> (II) Keyboard "Keyboard0" handled by legacy driver
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
> (II) Screen 0 shares mem & io resources
> (II) Screen 1 shares mem & io resources
> (II) Screen 0 shares mem & io resources
> (II) Screen 1 shares mem & io resources
>
> is this a driver issue (has the latest Ani Joshi stuf been implemented??)
> i use the nv driver
>
> cheers Thomas
> The only hint i could find on the net is to add the line
> VideoRam 64000 and
> VideoRam 6000
> to the driver sections
> of course without result

There are Ani Joshi patches in the kernel and XFree.  Whether they are the
latest I don't know. YDL and Ani aren't exactly forthcoming in making that
work available to the community, and I haven't searched lately.  If you
have links, please pass them on.  The status currently, afaik, is you can
use the kernel driver (compiled in I believe), and fbdev or no kernel
driver and the nv driver.  Either way, it's somewhat less than an ideal
setup, but usable.  Vdanen is using the fbdev driver on and LCD iMac
successfully, I believe.

Stew Benedict

--
MandrakeSoft