List:       mandrake-cooker-ppc
Subject:    Re: Install fest
From:       Patrick Ladam <ladam () smbh ! smbh ! univ-paris13 ! fr>
Date:       2002-11-27 13:44:24

Barry Hertzberg wrote:

> >I'm afraid I don't get it.  I actually installed Xpmac and made the
> >changes I posted earlier on my own system.
>
> Okay - but you know what you are doing. I'm a beginner. I had to
> watch someone use Vim to edit. From a neophyte standpoint, having to
> break in and edit files to make a system work is not a smooth
> install. Especially for someone who is coming from Mac OS which
> practically ties your own shoelaces for you. I can't say that I know
> how to edit this file on my own again. You need to write directions
> out that break it all down step by step by step in much more basic
> elements - or edit the installation routine so that it does this for
> the user.
>
> You have directions for the install? For the boot issue? I did not
> see that on the CD. This could have been my own short sightedness. I
> looked for a readme file and I found one that listed the past changes
> over time. I did not see a file called instructions for install or
> anything like that. Where do i find that file?
>
> Yes, you are correct. None of the people I spoke with use Mac at all.
> The people I know that use Mac want to know why I'm not using OSX.
>
> I'd like to wipe things out and try try try again from complete
> scratch. Can you direct me on how to do this? Shall I use my 9.2 CD
> to format the drive and wipe it clean of all partitions and try it
> again?
>
> We got X to run last night but when it rebooted all we got was a
> black screen of death. Nothing on it. At that point I had to pull the
> plug from the wall and take my imac with me.
>
> Thank you,
>
> >  Also, I've probably done
> >hundreds of installs here and haven't hit the bootstrap errors you say
> >we're plagued with.  Several people have fallen into the trap of setting
> >up the bootstrap as /boot. If there is something in our documentation that
> >indicates this is to be done, please someone let me know.  Starting an
> >install with either a previously created bootstrap of Apple_Free pretty
> >much flows through cleanly, and this is what is recommended in the install
> >docs.
> >
> >Unless your LUG folks are familiar with Linux on PPC, it will probably be
> >a bit foreign to them too.  It's just enough different in a few key areas
> >to throw even experienced Linux folks off.
> >
> >Stew Benedict
> >
> >--
> >MandrakeSoft
> >PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppcFAQ.php3
> >IRC: irc.openproject.net #cooker-ppc
> >Archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker-ppc&r=1&w=2
>
> --
> Barry M. Hertzberg, TTL
>
> Wm. Loesche School
> Information Technology Lab
> 595 Tomlinson Road
> Philadelphia, PA 19116
>
> (215) 961-2519 (voice)
> bhertzberg@phila.k12.pa.us
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> [...]

Barry,
Let me just tell you that Linux (specially for PPC) has never been
straightforward during
the install process. What you should know or realise is that platforms handle a
load of different
hardware and that each machine is a particular case. The open-source community
does a constant
effort to handle new hardware shipping at high speed and stay tuned with old
hardware at the
same time.
I have been using YellowDog for a few years and came to MDK because everything
worked out
with 8.2 almost straight after the install while YDL 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 was a
nightmare for my machine
(a blue/white G3) : no X, no modem, no printing...
And don't forget you don't pay for open-source software so these people don't
howe you anything.
So do not despair, take a long breath when you enter the unix world, read
carefully the manuals
and appreciate the result...as you say it is not Mac OSX, it's much better.

Sincerely

Bye

| Patrick LADAM                   |                               |
| Laboratoire CSSB                |     THE BIG BANG THEORY:      |
| UFR SMBH                        |                               |
| 74 rue Marcel Cachin            |   In the begining there was   |
| 93017 Bobigny CEDEX             |        nothing at all.        |
| >>> NEW e-mail: <<<             |                               |
| ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr |      Then, it exploded...     |
| Tel: 01 48 38 77 26 / 76 85     |                               |
| Fax: 01 48 38 77 77             |                               |