List:       mandrake-cooker-ppc
Subject:    Re: GUI  Keyboard issue
From:       Stew Benedict <sbenedict () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-11-26 1:34:42

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Bob Sloots wrote:

> Hello Dan,
>
> I don't know much about the keyboard (after installation it worked, and I had
> no need to change that) but I can give you my settings:
> in the CLI (runlevel 3) I started (as root) the command keyboarddrake. In my
> case (I use an Apple extended keyboard on a PM7600-based machine) it says:
> "US keyboard" and I can change that easily.
> What does your machine say, and if something else: can you change that?
>
> Bob.
>
> > I am having the same problem. When I try XFree the screen blinks
> > every 4 seconds. When I run the xpmac server I get I think italian
> > compose keys.
> >
> > I really want to use Mandrake anyone have any idea how to fix this or
> > when mandrake 9 for ppc is coming out?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dan J.
> >
> > On 25 Nov 2002 at 13:28, Barry Hertzberg wrote:
> > > I struggled all weekend with the keyboard issue that i had mentioned.
> > > No one got back to me with any ideas on that. I have no idea why but
> > > at the CLI the keyboard is fine. From the GUI all the mapping was
> > > wrong. I could not even input a password.
> > >
> > > I wound up blowing the whole thing out and putting YDL back to see if
> > > i could make it work. It did. I still want to make Mandrake work. Is
> > > there a reason that my keyboard is changing and which of the X
> > > windows packages should I use?
> > >
> > > The installer on this could be a little easier to use. There was all
> > > the trouble I had with the bootstrap and now the issue with the GUI.
> > > I'm hoping that I can get around this and make it work in the
> > > classroom. The problem is that I'm not up on editing and working
> > > outside of the GUI - so for the time being this is a real pain in the
> > > neck for me.
> > >
> > > Why would YDL be okay with the keyboard but Mandrake is causing it to
> > > map wrong? Can I fix this with a work around in the install and set
> > > up?

My apologies to Barry, I mailed him privately and told him I'd follow up
on the Xpmac keyboard issue and got sidetracked.  Been busy working on the
next release but you guys keep wanting to pull me back!

1) Mandrake PPC 9 - won't be one. There are plans to release 9.X, or
whatever it may be called.  This is the cooker track you hear us talking
about on here.

2) Flashing X display.  You guys should try the FAQ, archives for some of
these things.  If it's a MACH64 card, it's known issue with a couple of
workarounds:

   a) Option "composite_sync" "off" in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  Above BusID
	is a good place.
   b) Rename the i2c driver:
	mv /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libi2c.a /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libi2c.bad

3) Xpmac keyboard wierdness: Xpmac doesn't read the
/etc/X11/XFree86Config. It's not really even the preferred display driver
but it's kept around for those few particularly difficult machines that
just can't seem to use XFree with any configuration. Making changes to
the keyboard settings in any of the GUI tools will have no effect.  You
can read the long saga of me trying to help someone to switch to XFree,
which is really not that difficult, but was seemingly impossible for the
person on mandrakeexpert.com. (There's a whole PPC section on there).

Anyway, urpme XFree86-Xpmac should remove Xpmac and urpmi XFree86-server
should install XFree86. XFdrake can be run from the command line to
configure the new server.

Should you really want to continue with Xpmac, you need to tell it what
keyboard to use. This is done with command line switches.  If you look at
/usr/X11R6/bin/Xpmac, you'll see it's a shell script that runs the Xpmac
binary.  If you run Xpmac --help, you'll see a number of options and
you'll have to experiment with keymaps.  The other option is to switch
back to mac keycodes, rather than linux keycodes.  Since Xpmac predates
the use of Linux keycodes, it naturally works with mac keycodes.  I'm
going to describe the US setup, for other countries, you'll need to modify
accordingly:

Boot the system to runlevel three (linux 3 at the "boot:" prompt)

/etc/sysctl.conf

Look for the line:

dev.mac_hid.keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes = 1

change the "1" to a "0"

/etc/sysconfig/keyboard

Look for the line:

KEYTABLE=us

Change it to:

KEYTABLE=mac-us-ext

Run:

sysctl -p && /etc/rc.d/init.d/keytable restart

telinit 5

Should get you to the X login with a sane keymapping.

If you look at the list archives, there is a nice document by Sylvain
OBEGI on using linux or mac keymaps, with a subsequent thread on other
methods.

Stew Benedict

--
MandrakeSoft