List:       mandrake-cooker-ppc
Subject:    Re: ttyS0/USB/mol-Problems MDK8.2 PBG3 Wallstreet [LONG]
From:       Stew Benedict <sbenedict () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-06-28 15:08:56

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Joerg Rambau wrote:

> I got this one working by compiling the benh kernel 2.4.19-rc1-ben0 with
> macserial built in.  I recall having trouble with macserial as a module
> before.  Now everything as expected plus the full support for the nice
> pbbuttonsd.  I also got a working configuration, the only mystery being that
> pppd (called via `/sbin/ifup ppp0', configured by `netconf') refuses to
> replace the eth0 route with the default ppp0 route (`pppd[...]: not replacing
> default route' in `/var/log/messages').  This occured only after trying out
> DrakNet, not before.  I had to add manually
>
>   /sbin/route del default
>   /sbin/route add default ppp0
>
> to /etc/ppp/ip-up.local.  Although it is not that important anymore, I would
> like to know what's going on there.  I have already checked `/etc/ppp/options'
> for suspects, but nothing unusual there.

Don't know offhand.  I have made ppp connections via modem in the past,
not lately though.

> > > [2] I can connect to the TA via USB Cardbus.  Then the TA can be used to dial
> > >   into the ISP.  The routes and name servers are set correctly and I can use
> > >   e.g. ssh. However, I cannot use the imap or http protocols: `could not
> > >   connect' (imap) or an infinite `retrieving site ...' (http) are the result.
> > >
> > >   [Attempts:]
> > >   - I have already tried various options for ppp: no success
> > >   - switched off hardware compression at the TA: no success
> > >

> > Rather odd.  Do you have a firewall setup?
>
> Are there hidden firewalls set-up my the Drake Tools?  Anyway, I am not after
> this anymore since I have ttyS0, which works perfectly now.

No - nothing hidden.

> I recompiled it against the sources of my new kernel.  No problem, except that
> I have interpreted your suggestion
>
>   make CFLAGS="%optflags -D<something-with-true-and-false>"
>
> as
>
>   make CFLAGS="-O2 -D<something-with-true-and-false>
>
> which was causing runtime errors.  (Probably this removed vital CFLAGS, maybe
> -g.)  I tried again using the standard preprocessor flag

[stew@powerbook-cooker bin]$ rpm --eval=%optflags
-O3 -mcpu=750 -mtune=750 -fsigned-char -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer
-fexpensive-optimizations -pipe -s

>   make CPPFLAGS="-D<something-with-true-and-false>"
>
> which seems to be conceptually even cleaner: it works.
>
> I have one other minor problem concerning redraw events in XFree86: it seems
> that the Xserver is too lazy with redraw events.  I get stripes through
> pixmaps from time to time that vanish as soon as I can trigger a redraw.  I
> have alrady tried to tweak the imlib settings: no success.  Any ideas?

No idea here.  Haven't seen that behavior.

Stew Benedict

--
MandrakeSoft
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppcFAQ.php3