List:       mandrake-cooker-i18n
Subject:    Re: [i18n] RTL support in rpmdrake
From:       Pablo Saratxaga <pablo () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2004-12-01 11:27:40

Kaixo!

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 07:44:06PM +0200, Diego Iastrubni wrote:

> >"english_description                         :summary_in_arab"
> >"                         arabic_description :summary_in_arab"

> Yes, that is desirable. I wanted to ask that a few months/years ago but
> forgot. This is the correct way.
>
> Please not that we do not talk about allignment, but direction (easy to
> get confused).

It is about alignment too.
The problem is that "left" alignment means actually default alignment;
that is, to the left for LTR mode, and to the right for RTL mode;
but the mode is globally set, and it may be incorrect for a given
text (eg, if the description is in English, and the main mode is RTL,
it will be aligned to the right).

I think the thing to do is to set the text area as direction neutral,
GTK_TEXT_DIR_NONE, instead of having it inherit the direction of the
parent widget (which inherit it from the user interface language);
so the individual paragraphs should be aligned depending on their
own directionality.
At least, in theory, I haven't done that yet.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Catalan or Esperanto]
[min povas skribi en valona, esperanta, angla aux latinidaj lingvoj]