List:       mandrake-cooker-i18n
Subject:    Re: [i18n] Re: Suggestions for the installer of mdk10.1
From:       Munzir Taha <munzirtaha () newhorizons ! com ! sa>
Date:       2004-09-12 19:43:10

On Yaum al-Jumma 25 Rajab 1425 17:36, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:

> A size in points (pt) (or in inches, mm, whatever) will result in
> different pixel sizes depending on screen resolution (on the dpi,
> dots per inch, value)); the idea is that a size of, say 14pt,
> would be the same size even if you change the resolution,
> a point btw is 1/72 of inch, so 14pt = 14/72 inch.
> on a 72dpi screen that will give 14/72 * 72 = 14 pixels;
> but on a 81x81 dpi screen (like the one I'm using right now),
> it would be 14/72 * 81 = 15.75 => 16 pixels
> and on a better, screen, with 94 dpi it would be 18 pixels, etc.
> but the physicall size (if you take a ruler and measure it) will always
> be the same, 14/72 = 0.19 inch

Informative: 5

> That is also due to the fact that the font size is the distance between
> the most higher ink posiotion and the most lower one (well, most exactly
> between ascent and descent lines; but that is often the same); even if that
> only happens in a single glyph, or in only a few.

> Now, with other scripts, like thai or arabic, the difference gets even
> bigger.

Should all fonts of the same size has the same size? ;)
Different 14pt fonts e.g. give different sizes for the same text in the same
screen. Is it a font error?

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA