List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    RE: [Cooker] Minimal install -> i686
From:       Don Head <DHead () wavetech ! com>
Date:       2001-08-31 23:10:57

>                         "All we are saying
>                        Is give min a chance"

> Yet another man who would sign the Holy Minimal Install
> petition, if it
> existed... Personally, I've lost the hope that Mandrake will
> change its
> vision to a smarter installation. Mandrake focuses on the number of
> packages, assuming that developers are constantly *improving* their
> applications. But this is not true : new bugs are commonly introduced
> with latest features. Also, staying "on the bleeding edge" is
> the best
> thing to do if you want to break what used to work (how many "broken"
> reports on this list?). Mandrake looks like someone who would build a
> huge stone castle upon the sand. You never know if the next
> stone will
> swallow an entire part of the castle, or if it will fit
> nicely. In a few
> French words, I would say : "c'est un peu trop le bazar pour en faire
> une cathédrale". But that's only my worthless opinion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're mixing
two issues here, and only one of them really has some
relevancy to what guran and I are looking for.

The "bleeding edge" issue I actually like when it comes to
a number of projects; MySQL, Apache, PHP, FreeCiv,
KDE/Konqueror, etc.  Yes, "bleeding edge" in a
distribution with a lot of packages is even worse, but
that, IMHO, doesn't really have anything to do with
installation architectures, goes against my personal
beliefs (I use Mandrake *because* of it's
"bleeding-edginess" (and it's open development model, which
I *REALLY* like)), and is a discussion that should be taken
to another thread.

> Anyway, for your request, were there many differences in the
> instructions sets of 80386 and 80486? Compiling for 486 is useless if
> the instruction sets are the same.

The biggest distinction is probably in math-coproccessors;
later 486's had them, no guarantee with 386's and early
486's.. I think that makes a difference in the kernel.

> Also, 386 based-PCs had
> BIOSes that
> could not deal with hard drives larger than 528 MB. Are such
> harddrives
> sufficient for Linux-Mandrake, even if the minimal install existed?
> Latter 486s did not have this limitation, hence are perhaps better.

I don't think hard drive space is an issue.  I'm sure I
could get myself a really nice firewall box, kitchen
terminal, or bathroom newsgroup reader box in under 528MB,
in fact, I should be able to do it in 250MB or less.  I
have an old 386 laptop with like an 80MB drive.  The only
distro I can put on there is Slackware, mainly because I
can install from floppies.  One day I'd like to stick
Mandrake on there.  It's great for ssh/telnet, pine,
swatch, and links/lynx.

Don Head
SAIR LCA, CIW-P, i-Net+, Network+, A+

Systems Administrator      [ donhead@linux-certified.org ]
Web Designer                            [ 1 314 650-4056 ]
[ AIM - Don Wave ] [ ICQ - 18804935 ] [ Yahoo - Don_Wave ]