List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    [Cooker] Problems with apm - a little clearer now
From:       OS <101355.471 () compuserve ! com>
Date:       2001-08-31 19:51:34

Hello,

I have been monitoring apm - because it's so appauling !!

1) Run the laptop on battery.
   Run the laptop on battery,
   Close the lid - should suspend see next PR ! - at a battery level of say
   91%,
   Leave to simmer for a day or so,
   Plug the power lead in - turned on at the mains !
   Open the lid,
   APM reports AC 91% ! (APM will keep reporting this value until the battery
   runs flat with no warning !),
   Unplug the mains lead, after a short while APM reports Battery 50% which
   is about what was expected, and the APM correctly reports changing power
   levels as the battery charges.

2) The BIOS says Suspend to Disk, APM set to use Standby, close the lid and
the system goes into standby - looking good.
    The BIOS says Suspend to Disk, APM set to use Suspend, close the lid and
the system goes into standby - rats !

3) Unplug mains lead as the system is going into standby.
   Unplug mains lead as the system is going into standby.
   If you catch it at the right point the laptop will come out of standby
   even though the lid is tight shut.
   Now it's confused ! - The lid is down, but I'm on ! Hmmm !
   Open the lid - The lid has opened, but I was already on so I'll do nothing!
   The laptop is now unresponsive,
   Close the lid - Ah ! The lid has closed I'll go into standby,
   Open the lid and the laptop wakes up normally.

The best APM was one from Red Hat's Rawhide site shortly after RH 5.2 was
released ! Why did someone have to mess with it !!! If M$ can handle APM
surely Linux can - oops ! sorry, flame bait ;-)

Owen