List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] supermount vs autofs
From:       Frederik Himpe <fhimpe () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2001-08-18 9:54:11

On 18 Aug 2001 01:02:53 -0400, David Walluck wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>
> > But overall, I *completely* agree with you.  I also fail to see the
> > benefit of supermount - I suppose because of "ignorance", just like you
> > are :)
>
> Well, show me how to use it maybe? :) I know my automount tries to contact
> and LDAP server and then dies, so that's no good :)

In /etc/auto.master I have:
/misc   /etc/auto.misc  --timeout=3
/net    /etc/auto.net   --timeout=60

In /etc/auto.misc:
cdrom           -fstype=auto,ro,nosuid,exec,user,nodev  :/dev/cdrom
cdrom2          -fstype=auto,ro,nosuid,exec,user,nodev  :/dev/cdrom2

I removed the /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom2 directories, and made them a
symlink to /misc/cdrom and /misc/cdrom2.

/etc/init.d/autofs start to start it.

I also commented the lines in /etc/init.d/mandrake_everytime which check
the existence of /mnt/cdrom to avoid an error message because it was not
able to create these directories.

If you don't access anything on cdrom/cdrom2 for 3 seconds, it will be
unmounted automatically, so there's in fact no problem in having to wait
before you can eject.

Only drawback I discovered is that it lasts a rather long time to view
the contents of /mnt/ when either or both of the cdroms are empty; it
seems he tries to mount the cdroms, and so you have to wait for some
sort of time-out when there's no cd in it.

Frederik Himpe