List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    [Cooker] some thoughts about the installation
From:       Frederik Himpe <fhimpe () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2001-08-04 9:15:44

I've got some suggestions concerning the Mandrake installation.

The first one came in my mind when I read a review of Caldera
Workstation 3.1. Caldera was my first distribution I tried, now 1,5 year
ago. There was one feature of the installer i liked very much: it starts
already installing files in the background, while you are configuring
things such as network, printer, etc. This makes installation that bit
less boring...

Another idea has to do with the configuration of http- and ftp-proxy in
the installation. I wonder where this is exactly used for, IIRC this is
not used to set the environment variables http_proxy and ftp_proxy (This
should be possible I think?), nor to configure the proxy in browsers and
tools as rpmdrake.I guess configuring browsers is almost impossible,
because of the variaty in configuration files. But maybe the *drak*
tools could be made to use the environment variables http_proxy and
ftp_proxy?

Frederik Himpe