List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker]
From:       Pierre Fortin <pfortin () pfortin ! com>
Date:       2001-06-29 21:13:36

unknown unknown wrote:

> Discussion on Ease of Installation Issues.
>
> lets discuss why all linux distributions have to install manually, has
> anyone thought of making an installer, which installs completely as a
> backround process, for example someone pops in a mandrake CD, and "now
> play the game while everything installs, this is what consoles do, i wonder
> if it would work on the PC, what do you all think of backround installation?

I certainly would like to see a background install...  for example, with less
than an hour's effort a couple of months ago, I made some minor changes to some
install scripts to see if it would be possible to install onto extra partitions
while still running the live system...  you can see a screen dump at:
http://pfortin.com/Linux/live_install.html

Is this what you mean...?

BTW, I did this with NO additional code...  all I did was to DELETE some
code...  interesting...?

Pierre