List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] rpmsrate & task-kde discussion: default KDE desktop
From:       Olivier LAHAYE <Olivier.Lahaye () motorola ! com>
Date:       2007-02-14 13:37:09

Le Wednesday 14 February 2007 14:25, Buchan Milne a écrit  :
> On Tuesday 13 February 2007, Frederik Himpe wrote:
> > I did a Cooker installation last week (both KDE and Gnome desktops), and
> > I have some comments about the choice of applications which were
> > installed by default. I have strongly the impression that rpmsrate does
> > need some serious clean-up, to reflect the state of applications today.
> >
> > Anyway, here are my comments about KDE applications which were installed
> > by default.
> >
> > 1. In a default KDE applications, there are at least 3 different picture
> > viewers installed (4 if you also count Digikam/Showfoto). This is really
> > too much:
> > kdegraphics-kuickshow (task-kde)
> > kdegraphics-kview (rpmsrate)
> > gwenview (rpmsrate)
> > digikam (rpmsrate: digikamimageplugins kipi-plugins)
> >
> > Please only keep gwenview and digikam: they are the only ones which are
> > being actively maintained, and have the best features and user
> > interfaces.
>
> [...]
>
> > 8. kdeaccessibility: while this program can be useful, even necessary,
> > for some people, it is not to lots of other people. As the same problem
> > happens in Gnome, I would propose to create a seperate category in the
> > installer, which the user can check or uncheck, depending on his needs.
>
> 9. Please install kpdf by default (if this hasn't been done yet)

Digikam is a wonderfull application and I use it on a daily basis.
but IMHO, it's not a picture viewer, it's a picture manager.

I mean, if you want to display a picture that is not in the digikam
repository, you have to import it 1st; which is not very practical.

Kuickshow is realy fast and good for adhoc viewing. Problem is that it does
not work with composite wm.

Olivier.
--
	Olivier LAHAYE