List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] modular xorg
From:       Colin Guthrie <cooker () colin ! guthr ! ie>
Date:       2006-05-21 9:57:45

Raphaël Gertz wrote:
>>Le Dimanche 21 Mai 2006 00:47, Thomas Spuhler a écrit :
>>I am still trying to figure out the advantage of having xorg 7 as modular
>>When I do a urpmi --auto-select  I get a ton of video drivers for all kind
>>of possible cards. Why do I need all of them.
>
> Because packaged put all the video driver and useless things in x11-xorg
> metapackage :'(

All of this was discussed at great length prior to packaging Xorg7.

At the moment it's due to a limitiation of the various configuration
tools. They all assume that the relevent Xorg driver for the detected
hardware is installed on the system and do not have support for
installing the necessary package. It is far easier to have all the
drivers installed on the machine (as per the old monolithic package).
This may change in the future as the tools get better, but they will be
harder to maintain as a tradeoff.

I kinda feel the same. As someone who knows my system, why have these
packages there? But I can see why it's far easier this way.

Of course the other advantage of modular is that Xorg monolithic is not
gonna be released anymore ;)

Col

--

|     Colin Guthrie      |