List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] New SVN repository
From:       Laurent Montel <lmontel () mandriva ! com>
Date:       2005-10-17 14:01:54

On Monday 17 October 2005 15:50, Thiago Galesi wrote:
> > > Does the build system connectiva guys were talking is based on this svn
> > > repository ? If yes, we will have to use svn...
> >
> > why ?
>
> Maybe because SVN runs circles around CVS...
>
>  And because, as  Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote (quite nicely, actually)
> it's part of the evolution. If we don't change things because they are
> 'good enough' we miss lots of stuff.
>
> Anyway, tracking an individual project with pencil and paper is 'good
> enough' too...
> The real advantages of using source control (even on individual
> projects)  are best understood when you use it! And then, you start to
> realize that some things you wouldn't bother doing while tracking 'by
> hand' are easly done now. (like branching, going back in changes)
>
> Personally, I don't undestand why you seen so resistant in switching
> to the new system...

Me I don't understand why because "svn" is good we will use it for all
packages ? is it a evolution to increase size into svn server without use the
feature of svn ?
For me I think that there is just 50-100 packages where it's usefull.
For other package you will just use it for storing.
Ok it's very important to store into svn server all kde-i18n-* version :)

For kernel and other package where we have specific patch it's usefull, if
it's just for say "Ok svn is the evolution, use it !!!" for me it's not a
good idea.