List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] Wiki: attention translators
From:       John Keller <jkeller () matchbox ! fr>
Date:       2005-06-30 17:36:24

Pavel Maryanov wrote:
>>>Looks good.
>>>But what about UTF-8 charset (other than iso-8859-1)?
>>
>>That's a limitation of TWiki software, from what I can find on the Web.
>>I'm not the one who installed the software, so I only know as much as
>>anyone else who can use Google. But here's some interesting information:
>>
>>http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Codev/ProposedUTF8SupportForI18N
>

> Yes. Information is quite interesting but it is too complicated as for me.
> I'm not a coder, I'm just a translator.

Ah, sorry. Allow me to translate then :-)

From what I can gather, things seem to be moving a bit slowly. Their
testing shows that basic support mostly works. Unfortunately,
development beyond that has stalled.

>>As far as I can tell from the Macedonian page [1], Twiki converts the
>>characters to HTML's escaped character entity codes. So that's a plus.
>>Until TWiki catches up officially, I'm still inclined to leave the
>>header's meta tag as ISO-8859-1 (the TWiki-supported character set).
>

> It is not the best resolving for my problem.
> Yes. Cyrillic symbols looks perfect but when I'm trying to edit page...
> You may guess what I'll see.
>

>>Unfortunately, we'll pretty much have to make do the best we can until
>>whenever it's feasible to update TWiki to a UTF-8 version.
>

> OK
> We'll be waitin'

I'll try to look into it again, probably in August or later. If I ever
forget about it, please bug me - here on the list, or directly at
jkeller@matchbox.fr.

- John