List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] HT disabled in kernel
From:       Simon Oosthoek <simon () margo ! student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       2005-05-31 15:29:02

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 03:37:29PM +0100, Zeb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I guess that HyperThreading has been disabled by default in kernel
> 2.6.11-10mdk because of the recently discovered hardware vulnerability.
> However, does reactivation need a kernel recompilation ? Or is it
> possible to reactivate it with a boot command ? If yes, how ?

AFAIK it doesn't really make sense to disable it, since it's really hard if
not impossible to reliably make use of the exploit. If there was still a
secure kernel, that might be a good place to disable HT, but would someone
who's this paranoid not just disable it in the BIOS once and for all?

HT does have a benefitial effect on responsiveness, I think?

Cheers

Simon