List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] backports project
From:       FACORAT Fabrice <facorat.fabrice () laposte ! net>
Date:       2004-10-31 17:18:00

Le samedi 30 octobre 2004 à 14:24 +0200, Gilles Mocellin a écrit :
> Le samedi 30 Octobre 2004 10:00, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> > Gilles Mocellin wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > On the contrary, I think it's a plus, especially for the
> > > enterprise, where you can't follow releases.
> > >
> > > We have ~150 Mandrakelinux 8.1 today in production !
> > > I wish I had backported packages for netatalk (I tried myself, but
> > > dependencies stopped me before 1.6 release).
> >
> > That's why not everything can be simply backported.
>
> I know, I don't want everything to be backported and not forever !

sure but sometimes upgrading one compoent may require upgrading 70% of
the system and this is especially true for gnome related programs.

> > > Mandrake should have this activity for the Corporate Server
> > > release, with supported updates for some major functionnalities
> > > (samba, ldap, netatalk ;), httpd...)
> >
> > I am pretty sure that you can ask mandrake sales departement for
> > this. But backporting major functionnality without breaking
> > everything is not feasible for free. But given the price of the
> > corporate server edition, you should look at the psmp program, or
> > some other thing, look at mandrakesoft website.
>
> I've seen, but it' very expensive.

because the solution is  not simple

> I don't speak of OS related apps, but user one, far from Microsoft.
> As it has already been mentinonned : psi, mozilla-*, openoffice... They
> are free software, directly usable under Windows as soon as ther
> available.

OO may be backport but think about mozilla.

if you upgrade mozilla, you need to upgrade galeon/epiphany or else they
will not work because most of the times only latest versions of
galeon/epiphany support the latest mozilla. BUT the latest versions of
epiphany/galeon often requires a recent gtk version ( 2.4 at least ) and
so you may have to backport gtk or compil galeon/epiphany as static.
If you backport gtk but you can't use 2 versions of gtk2 at the same
time you may have to upgrade then ALL packages depending on gtk. At the
end you have the latest mdk ... so finally you'd better upgrade the
distro.

Now testing the upgrade on some computers is the way to go as it will
show you eventually all the pb you may have.

This is an issue with the way linux is. Windows have more stable API
( or at least they last 2 years because of their release cycle ) and
provide more components by default.
Linux on the contrary use many components from differents place and as
most of them are not matured they evolved very fast  and so may
change/break API/ABI very fast/usually.