List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] Contributing some new softs to Mandrake
From:       Michael Scherer <scherer.michael () free ! fr>
Date:       2004-10-31 13:44:24

Le dimanche 31 Octobre 2004 14:15, Florent CHANTRET a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> >Nothing prevent you to put it there, but i think you should not, for
> > various reason.
> >
> >First package made for cooker should be kept on cooker.
> >Second, it give bad habit.
> >Habit to mix package from distribution, habi to use package not signed,
> > habit to take package without knowing if they are good or bad.
> >
> >Third, it requires more work and more testing. And giving ackage without
> > test is bad.
> >If you wish to offer backport, you should read buchan announce, a few days
> > ago ( see "backports project", once archive are back online )
>
> Ok, so even if I have made the RPM on a 10.1 Official for a 10.1
> Official (cause I haven't ask a contributor account yet), this is not a
> good idea to put it officialy on phpMyVisites web site ?

You can if you want.
I do not force you, you may disagree with my point of view, this is not a
problem, i may be wrong.

> My project were to distribute it (and to give upstream to the main
> developper another RPM I've made for a PHP guestbook) now in order
> people can install it easily on a 10.1 Official.
>
> Then, when I will have a contributor access, I will build the next
> packages for Cooker, signed it and as it will be present from 10.2, no
> need to distribute it on the official website (just tell that the soft
> could be installed by addind contrib to the urpmi source list).

Yes.

> >Yes, warning the developer should be done, even if i forget for this one.
> >If you wish to maintain flyspray, just send the url where i can find the
> >package, you just need to update the current one, and i will upload it for
> >you after some usual verifications. I didn't update it because i didn't
> > found the time to build and test it, as it requires a lot of setup.
>
> Yes, I would be happy to maintain flyspray if you haven't the time as I
> was to do this before discovering that itas already maintained ;o) I
> will take a look to your SPEC file and try to build it.
>
> Currently, I build on a 10.1 Official, I suppose I have to install
> Cooker to made the package for cooker ?

If you plan to build on your computer, yes.
However, some nice peoples can give you access to computer dedicated to
building, provided you know how to use ssh and gpg...
Contact me in private if you are interested.

> If you want, I can send you the SRPMS but I will ask too to the "contrib
> manager" an account. As I can see on the wiki : "You just have to prove
> that you're motivated and competent" so I suppose I must show my specs
> files.

Yes, but do not fear to do mistakes, nobody is perfect.

> So what about phpMyVisites and alex_guestbook ? I must send the specfile
> (quite easy specfiles, no C compilation at all ;o)) to the ML ?

You can, i will try to take a look at them.
--
Michael Scherer