List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] New menu structure proposal
From:       James Sparenberg <james () opencountry ! org>
Date:       2004-01-14 0:54:24

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 11:44, Frederic Lepied wrote:
> Please vote on MandrakeClub if you think the new menu struture should
> be adopted. Here is the full proposal also posted on Club:
>
> The default menu in MandrakeLinux Powerpack and download edition was
> set up in the 7.1 version of the distribution.  Today, 693 entries are
> available in the Mandrake Linux today menu.
>
> First of all, a little bit of history. The actual menu had to: - Unify
> available menus in different window and desktop managers; - Count
> installed applications on the machine with a more or less graphic
> interface. When a software is not available in the menu, it doesn't
> exist for end users...
>
> Because there was many applications, we decided to gather them in
> topics. Furthermore, because users access more often to some certain
> categories of applications, we decided then to gather those categories
> at the top level of the menu tree (for easy access) and to put the
> others in an « Applications » top entry.
>
> A lot of people reported that this organization wasn't fitting their
> needs. They preferred a more logical tree. With this goal in mind we
> redesigned the menu tree with the following:
>
>     * clearer menu tree
>     * no more than 3 levels of depth
>     * less top level entries to let more space for the section of the
>       last used applications
>
> So, we heard your voice and we decided to change the organization of
> the menu. Here is the proposal:
>
> Applications/Accessibility and Languages/Accessibility/
> Applications/Accessibility and Languages/Input methods/
>
> Applications/Databases/
>
> Applications/Development/Code generators/
> Applications/Development/Development environments/
> Applications/Development/Editors/
> Applications/Development/Interpreters/
> Applications/Development/Tools/
>
> Applications/Documentation/
>
> Applications/Edutainment/Economy/
> Applications/Edutainment/Geography/
> Applications/Edutainment/History/
> Applications/Edutainment/Languages/
> Applications/Edutainment/Literature/
> Applications/Edutainment/Sciences/
> Applications/Edutainment/Sports/
>
> Applications/Entertainment/Adventure/
> Applications/Entertainment/Arcade/
> Applications/Entertainment/Board games/
> Applications/Entertainment/Card games/
> Applications/Entertainment/Puzzles/
> Applications/Entertainment/Sports/
> Applications/Entertainment/Strategy/
> Applications/Entertainment/Toys/
>
> Applications/Finances/
>
> Applications/Internet/E-mail/
> Applications/Internet/File transfer/
> Applications/Internet/IRC/
> Applications/Internet/Instant messaging/
> Applications/Internet/News/
> Applications/Internet/Remote access/
> Applications/Internet/Video Conference/
> Applications/Internet/Web browsers/
> Applications/Internet/Web editors/
>
> Applications/Multimedia/Graphics/
> Applications/Multimedia/Sound/
> Applications/Multimedia/Video/
>
> Applications/Office/Accessories/
> Applications/Office/Address books/
> [...]

One question... How does this map/translate into what is being done in
relation to the freedesktop.org menu system due out soon?   Also where
would Xnest related things go in your mind.  Right now having them under
boot/init is to me less than intuitive.

In the end the only way to really make people happy will be to make
re-organization easier.  No matter what you do it won't be what everyone
wants *grin*

James

James