List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] Critical bug, but no response!!
From:       Vincent Danen <vdanen () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2003-05-04 5:30:18

On Sun May 04, 2003 at 01:05:26AM +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:

> > This is to all those working at MandrakeSoft:
> >

> Well, then you should be directing the mail to @mandrakesoft, not cooker
>
> > Where are you guys?
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker&m=105171199025690&w=2
> (Laurent is now on holiday ... and was very busy adding spell-checking to
> kmail before that)
>
> Vince has been fixing more important bugs.
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker&m=105109595712003&w=2

Sorry, I did get this email personally, but I haven't really had a chance to
deal with it.  Yes, I read the email, no I didn't respond as I've been very
busy with something else.  Reading it over quickly, it didn't sound that
important compared to what I was working on.

> > Why is no-one even acknowledging  a critical bug,
>
> I don't agree it's a critical bug. Sure, it's irritating, but it's better
> than having your network authentication database inaccessible after an
> upgrade (which required recompiling with the right options to fix before
> the update). Anything that can be fixed without a compile can't be that
> bad.

No doubt.  I hardly thing this qualifies as critical.  For one, this is the
first I've heard of this problem, and only one person has complained.  Now,
if there was a general outcry on cooker or expert about the hundreds of
people with this problem, that's a different story.

One has to have priorities, you know (to Sarang... Buchan clearly knows
this).

> And I don't see the point of doing a 30MB kdebase update for such an easy
> fix, though of course if there is *another* update for KDE in the works,
> it would be nice.

No doubt.  In fact, I absolutely *refuse* to do a 30MB kdebase update for a
bug that affects perhaps 5% of Mandrake users, judging by the furious
outcries from the masses.  Perhaps I'm even being generous there.

> And Laurent has responded to it, but he has been very busy between then
> and leaving:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker&m=105127650801665&w=2
>
> Vince, maybe you could add an errata for this one?
> # cp /etc/pam.d/xscreensaver /etc/pam.d/kscreensaver3
> should fix it.

This is the more logical thing to do.  An actual fix would be worthwhile if
we were updating kdebase for something else.  Since we're not, an errata
makes more sense.  Obviously, Laurent will have to take care of this when he
gets back (for cooker).

> BTW, it exists all the way back to 8.2 at least, so you can test it easily
> with your new LDAP setup.

That implies that I'll be firing up KDE... that very seldom happens.  =)

> > If there is _anyone_ at MandrakeSoft, with even a little pride, they should
> > send me an email : sarang _at_ users.sf.net.

What does pride have to do with anything?

> Maybe you should take things less personally, and file a bug at
> http://qa.mandrakesoft.com, so that this bug can be dealt with properly?

Agreed.  Bugzilla is clearly the appropriate place for this.

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
Online Security Resource Book; http://linsec.ca/