List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] Critical bug, but no response!!
From:       Buchan Milne <bgmilne () cae ! co ! za>
Date:       2003-05-03 23:05:26

Well, then you should be directing the mail to @mandrakesoft, not cooker

> Where are you guys?

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker&m=105171199025690&w=2
(Laurent is now on holiday ... and was very busy adding spell-checking to
kmail before that)

Vince has been fixing more important bugs.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker&m=105109595712003&w=2

> Why is no-one even acknowledging  a critical bug,

I don't agree it's a critical bug. Sure, it's irritating, but it's better
than having your network authentication database inaccessible after an
upgrade (which required recompiling with the right options to fix before
the update). Anything that can be fixed without a compile can't be that
bad.

And I don't see the point of doing a 30MB kdebase update for such an easy
fix, though of course if there is *another* update for KDE in the works,
it would be nice.

And Laurent has responded to it, but he has been very busy between then
and leaving:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker&m=105127650801665&w=2

Vince, maybe you could add an errata for this one?
# cp /etc/pam.d/xscreensaver /etc/pam.d/kscreensaver3
should fix it.

BTW, it exists all the way back to 8.2 at least, so you can test it easily
with your new LDAP setup.

> let
> alone submit a fix for it? I took pains to find the cause and a fix, and then
> reported it to cooker mailing list [1], and after some days to the exper
> mailing list [2]. People have responded confirming that the bug is causing
> problems with NIS too [3] (along with winbind).

No kidding, and LDAP BTW.

> I have also send this report
> by direct email to Vincent and Laurent Montel.
>
> Inspite of all this, I have not received a single email back from anyone at
> MandrakeSoft. So I have a simple question.. is MandrakeSoft dead? It is a
> very valid question because I am a club member for 11 months and my
> membershit gets over next month. If this is the response from Mandrake, on
> what basis should I renew?

If this is your biggest complaint with the distro, you are probably
deriving great value from it. It's up to you to decide whether it's worth
your money helping to ensure that people have more time available to fix
bugs like these.

> If there is _anyone_ at MandrakeSoft, with even a little pride, they should
> send me an email : sarang _at_ users.sf.net.

Maybe you should take things less personally, and file a bug at
http://qa.mandrakesoft.com, so that this bug can be dealt with properly?

BTW, this bug has been known abuot for a long time, and was reported long
ago to cooker, before Bugzilla was back in action, but I forgot to add it
(I think). But it may have been filed in Bugzilla. Do a search, vote for
it etc, like the rest of us, and hope Laurent reads Bugzilla when he gets
back. Whether he will fix it right is another matter ...

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker&m=105157092826430&w=2

But I don't like it when newbie's to this list come and bitch about the
distro, when everyone else gives up their free time politely doing
their bit to improve it ...

Sure, bugs suck, but bad attitudes are worse.

Regards,
Buchan