List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] rebuild an initrd under rescue cdrom
From:       Guillaume Cottenceau <gc () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2003-04-03 13:44:08

Pascal Cavy <pascal@vmfacility.fr> writes:

> > not exactly. that's the case for "reinstalling bootloader" for
> > example. all experts know easily how to do that, but there is a
> > menu entry, because the rescue is not only for experts. same
> > applies to "reboot".
>
> That's what I wanted to read, at last.
> however you still think  rebuilding an initrd is easy for newbies, and would
> not benefit from a new menu entry in rescue, only because it does not happen
> often?

?? Re-read me. I don't pretend that "not often" implies "easy".

> In fact we disagree on the goal of the rescue disk menu, I think. Personnaly i
> would put in this menu all easy means to recover from well know bad

**well known**, exactly.

> situations (especially for newbies):
> - corrupted boot sector

agreed.

> - corrupted initrd

disagreed.

> - lost root passwd

"linux 1" or "linux single" is just as easy (it needs to be
known, but the manual and online docs is here for that).

> - FS checks

done at boot.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/