List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] rebuild an initrd under rescue cdrom
From:       Gary Greene <greeneg () student ! gvsu ! edu>
Date:       2003-04-02 5:28:59

On Tuesday 01 April 2003 5:40 pm, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
> Pascal Cavy <pascal@vmfacility.fr> writes:
> > After migration from MDK 7.2 to MDK 9.1, the installer left a new system
> > without an initrd for 2.4.21-0.13mdk, thus I cannot boot it anymore.
>
> /root/drakx/report.bug.gz would help.
>
> > I was wondering if it is possible to rebuild my initrd from the 9.1
> > rescue CD.
>
> Theoretically, it should be feasible (and easy).

I've done this SEVERAL times over the last year when the mkinitrd utility was
somewhat cracked for XFS module support.

> > I tried the following but to no avail (maybe because of using the freshly
> > installed system by means of a chroot on /mnt) :
> >
> > boot rescue cd1
> > mount all FS on /mnt
> > go to console
> > chroot /mnt
> >
> > First I was to mount /proc  because mkinitrd _does not check_ that /proc
> > is available and thus we end in a loop at the step it scans for
> > /proc/mounts FS.
>
> I don't consider that to be a bug. Many (all?) of our system
> tools rely very much on /proc being available. I'm not even sure
> the system will boot without a /proc filesystem mounted.

Oh, it WILL boot, but not kindly...

Can I suggest that all Mandrake apps (since this test would be almost trivial)
with the need to access /proc at least please have a check and warning
message included so the n00b that gets his new linux system almost running
and the theoretical chance that the mkinitrd util is as broken as it was then
won't be pulling their hair out in frustration?

> > mount /proc
> >
> > mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img 2.4.21-0.13mdk.img
>
> "-v" often helps debugging.

thanks for that info...

> > which leads to an error like :
> > + dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/initrd.img.LiQwlh bs=1k count=420
> > + '[' -n '' ']'
> > + mke2fs -q -m 0 -F -N 45 -s 1 /tmp/initrd.img.LiQwlh
> > mke2fs 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
> > mke2fs: Device size reported to be zero.  Invalid partition specified, or
> >         partition table wasn't reread after running fdisk, due to
> >         a modified partition being busy and in use.  You may need to
> > reboot to re-read your partition table.
>
> No idea why it's saying that. Maybe strace would help.
>
> It works for me (cooker nfs rescue).

- --
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from uriel.gvsu.edu
 00:22:43 up 10:59,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00
Founder and president of the Grand Valley Linux Users Group.
  -=<http://www.gvlug.org>=-
Chief Systems Architect, SSC Limited, Inc. - OS Department.
PHONE : 331-0562
EMAIL : greeneg@student.gvsu.edu