List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] Mandrake 9.1 Should be Delayed
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2003-03-09 16:48:45

On Sat 08 Mar 2003 05:26, Giuseppe Ghibò posted as excerpted below:
> Consider also that NVidia drivers contains modules built with obsolete
> compilers like egcs 1.1.2 (see for instance libGLcore.so.1.0.4191)
> that any distribution no longer uses since two years...

I'm not yet into development enough to do much source diving, but I do know
that when I changed to the 2.4.20 kernel (I compile the official kernel.org
sources), and tried to recompile the NVidia driver so I could launch X again,
then tried to load it, it warned about an old compiler, even tho I'd used the
same then-current cooker gcc on both.  I guessed that it must be what they
used to compile the binary only part with.

However, after fetching their latest (at the time) driver srpms from NVidia, I
was able to recompile them and load them w/o incident.

Again, I don't do a lot of source diving yet, and don't know enough about it
to know if that means they removed all their old compiler done stuff or not,
but in any case, it worked.

(And.. they FINALLY added the ability to treat each of the outputs as a
separate device and screen sections in XF86Config, meaning a FAR simpler
layout, rather than the NVidia only Twinview specific stuff they'd had in the
screen sections before.  It is SO much simpler and more flexible, now!  What
I wouldn't do to get both outputs activated in the libre nv driver tho!)

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin