List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] [not urgent] - controls centers reflexion
From:       Gary Greene <rei () tabris ! net>
Date:       2002-11-09 20:35:25

On Saturday 09 November 2002 02:40 pm, Florent BERANGER wrote:
> KDE control center have more and more fonctionnalities each days (X
> configuration with kxconfig, lilo configuration, camera configuration,
> keyboard layout, power control, hardware infos, network config,...).
>
> A day, we'll have 2 control "centers" in KDE environment, not 100%
> interoperables/compatibles (they will not configure thinks as same).
> kxconfig doesn't configure display as drakXres for exemple.
> It's a little bad for usability to have 2 controls center (confusions,...)
>
> What can be do (now or in future) :
>
> - lets things as this, it works mostly, it's not top for usability but it's
> not bad / 2 or more control centers, that's greet, the user will choose
> he's prefered one in his prefered environment.
>
> - delete tools as kxconfig in KDEcontrolcenter-> KDE control center
> configure only KDE things. MCC control center will configure all others
> things.
>
> - modify tools for entire compatibility/interoperability (if they don't)->
> good luck ;).
>
> - replace tools as kxconfig, lilo config in kde control center by Mdk's one
> -> Mdk's tools integration in KDE control center. MCC'll be keept (if user
> is in another environment or if he want to use it because he prefer it)->
> the configuration center icon in launch bar launch KDE control center in
> kde (kdecontrol center will be the default control center in kde), MCC in
> another desktop environment. It's my prefered issue (I like MCC but it
> could be better for usability-> all configuration in the same control
> center in KDE, the top for usability and it's always the same tools who are
> used in each environments (Mdk's ones)).
>
> Thanks to have read all ;)
>
>   Florent

The second you start ripping things out of the KDE Control Center, just
because the tools are identical to yours is the day I pack up and leave MDK
behind. This is exactly what Red Hat did and it didn't win them many friends
by doing so. I like the fact that KDE has as much power and configurability
as it does now. If you want only one control center, just embed your tools
into the KDE Control Center (+the seperate one for GNOME users.)

- --
Gary Greene

Sent from seele.gvsu.edu
 15:30:36  up 1 day,  5:44,  3 users,  load average: 0.36, 0.83, 0.87

Founder and president of GVLUG.
Chairman and Project Lead of the E-media Committee of AltReal.
PHONE : 331-0562
EMAIL : rei@tabris.net
        greeneg@student.gvsu.edu