List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] Install of 9.0 - raid ?
From:       Pixel <pixel () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-09-30 21:03:02

Bruno Prior <bruno@prior.ftech.co.uk> writes:

[...]

> One thought. Was yours a completely fresh install? Mine was an install over
> the top of 9.0 RC1, and I was trying in the first instance to retain the old
> arrays. The errata indicates that this is what goes wrong - diskdrake
> identifies the old arrays correctly, but does not successfully recreate the
> raidtab. Because Mandrake's raid startup depends on the raidtab, everything
> then falls down. The perl-script attached to the errata rebuilds the raidtab,
> which is a kludge to get round the problem (but probably too late by the time
> you encounter the problem and find the solution). But the main point of my
> for your arrays to fire up under auto-recognition, than to do it via raidtab
> and rc.sysinit.

agreed. I even thought it was that way and that raidtab was only used
by mkraid.

In fact, raidtab is used by mkinird and rc.sysinit.
Not using raidtab in

- mkinitrd: the only problem is knowing which personality to put in
initrd. This can be done by looking at /proc/mdstat.

- rc.sysinit: i don't know. Maybe patching mount to do an ioctl
RAID_AUTORUN on md* devices?