List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] One more opinion about Mandrake-9.0
From:       Todd Lyons <tlyons () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-09-30 19:25:43

Ben Reser wrote on Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 11:32:44AM -0700 :
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 03:10:37PM +0200, Claudio wrote:
> > I've read many comment about latest 9.0 but just yesterday and today I
> > could install and test this new version. I have even seen many flames, and
> > even if I see some bugs (eg. quota won't work on ext3 fs), I have only to
> > appreciate the great work developers have done.
> The quota issue is a problem with the ext3fs's support for quotas.  Not
> really a bug that Mandrake created.  If you want quotas to work right
> your best bet right now is XFS.

To expand on this, quotas *DO* work for ext3.  They can be set and the
kernel enforces them.  However, users cannot see their own quota.
That's a result of the "move policy out of the kernel" notion.  It
*enforces* policy, but it is not used to *make* policy.  The XFS code
however does both.

As root, you can view users' quota, but as a user, you cannot view your
own using ext3.  In XFS, it works like it used to.

If need be, I can repost (or send to the original poster offlist) a very
long detailed message about quotas on the current kernel.  Stew has
taken a very detailed look into quota and the quotactl() function as
implemented in the kernel and we understand what it's doing and why the
limitation exists.

Blue skies...			Todd
--
...and I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious
 anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my binaries, and you