List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] To all Sony-Vaio-FX-Users: Read this
From:       Pbt <info16 () ifrance ! com>
Date:       2002-09-30 19:17:17

Le dim 29/09/2002 à 22:45, Wouter Lagerweij a écrit :
> On Sun, 2002-09-29 at 20:53, Reinhard Katzmann wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > When searching for BIOS-Updates or similar to solve
> > my rebooting problems with Linux I found a really great
> > HW page for the Sony-Vaio PCG-FX###. It has several
> > patches etc. and explains how to get suspend to work,
> > reboot (this is easy: append="reboot=bios" to lilo.conf
> > or drakboot), and USB mice to run (change some things in
> > the hotplug usb.rc config).
> >
> > I'm just starting to test these nice stuff :)
> >
> > http://www.gaugusch.at/vaio/
>
> Thanks!
>
> As a fellow vaio-user: Have you been able to run XFree 4.2.1 on your
> machine? I own a FX705, with an ATI Rage Mobility M/P and a SXGA+
> (1400x1050) screen.
> It runs fine with XFree 3.3.6, but when I try XFree 4.2.1 is gives me
> strangely distorted screens.
> If I start kdm with that set-up, I get vertical bars of a slightly
> different (blue) color, and if I run the 'test' option in XFdrake I do
> see the color bars, but they're not evenly spaced. Only the leftmost bar
> looks even remotely like it should, all the others show only a little
> green and a small blue area.
I got the blue lines too ! Even with mplayer when i use XV. They are not
presents if i use x11 but it really slower !

> There's also a small white rectangle in the upper left corner, that goes
> away once I specify the Option "SWCursor" for the ati driver. (though
> that does not give me a cursor...)
> I've also tried substituting the ati.2 drivers from the GATOS site, but
> those give me exactly the same results...
My vaio (fx203) got a bullshit video chipset : intel i810, i can't use
TV output (which is very boring...)

> Any ideas?
Have you tried other XFree drivers ? Vesa?
Accel?

Is your screen config the same with both versions of xfree?

> thanks,
>
> Wouter
	Pierre