List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] bootdisk creation fixed
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () ij ! net>
Date:       2002-09-12 22:58:30

huug wrote:

> Today, Felix Miata <mrmazda@ij.net> wrote:

> > To someone who hasn't been running the Linux CLI for several years,
> > the applicable man page and the error message are worthless. A

> That's not my experience, but I may be partial: I've more years bash
> under OS/2 under my belt then any *nix experience..

Bash under OS/2?

I'm a hybrid. I sort of use a CLI - File Commander/2, something like mc,
but far better than mc. When I look up instructions, I expect them to
include examples to demonstrate the use of the terms man page writers
assume everyone understands. I'm not a programmer, and I more often
don't than do have a clue how to use command line options from simply
reading a man page.

> > newbie or recent convert is going to get nowhere trying to do a
> > simple thing like make a boot disk, which in windoze is as simple as

> A newbie would just click Mandrake Control Center -> Boot -> Boot
> Disk -> Build the disk and be done with it (which works after todays
> patch). Or read some "Linux for DOS users" intro first.

Don't be lumping DOS users in with windoze users. They aren't
necessarily the same thing. DOS users use CLI rather than GUI, but
expect /? or /H to generate useful output, unlike mkbootdisk and a lot
of other shell scripts.
--
". . . . in everything, do to others what you would have them do
to you . . . ."                                        Matthew 7:12 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/