List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] 9.0 Beta3, Beta4, RC1, RC2 - No Boot From Boot Floppy
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () ij ! net>
Date:       2002-09-10 15:20:42

Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:

> Felix Miata <mrmazda@ij.net> writes:

> > OS/2 listing of floppy:

> is this really an OS? hum, sorry.

Made by the biggest computer company on the planet.
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/os/warp/

> >               5 file(s)    1025240 bytes used
> >                             431104 bytes free

> ok, it helps. i'll try myself.

What helps, knowing the file sizes? You didn't answer if you want an
image of the floppy sent to you.

> > 9-Everyone is frantically rushing against an unreasonable deadline to
> > release a distro that isn't ready yet.

> each person has his own criterions for "ready". in general,
> people enjoying bugs are biased and think that the distro is not
> ready :-).

Especially those of us suffering multiple bugs, like no mouse in X,
can't make a boot floppy, can't start and install from 5 year old
Symbios SCSI CD, and other basic stuff. The only version actually ready
for release is the last one before a major release, e.g. 7.2 & 8.2. 7.0,
8.0, & 9.0 were/are just glorified betas, just like all versions of
windoze.

> > > In this situation, I'd favor `2', but it's true that the problem
> > > also needs investigation from the people involved. Also, a big

> > I don't see how you can release a product incapable of creating a rescue
> > floppy either during or post install. I've seen several others report

> It's not a rescue floppy, it's a boot floppy. To rescue your

It's a floppy that won't do what it was made to do.

> system, insert the 1st CD and type in "rescue" before the boot.

These are network/hd installs. The CD is an iso image, not a real CD.
Does hd.img or network.img floppies support rescue mode?

> > this same problem I've encountered as long as several weeks ago.

> > > problem is that floppies are very likely to have hardware
> > > failures. Many times with similar bugs we spent time trying to

> > The exact same floppy worked just fine on the exact same machine using
> > the exact same floppy drive with 8.2. The same drive started the install
> > with a floppy made on the same drive using hd.img (and also network.img
> > for the beta 3 install).

> Maybe you're the exception, but many people often report similar
> bugreports being sure that their floppies are ok, and discover
> afterwards that their floppy was failing.

I usually have enough hardware around to change it if hardware is a
suspected problem.

> We need to sort our bugfixing work.

Isn't that what a Bugzilla was made to help to do?

> > > investigate, just to see that it was only due to h/w failure, so
> > > most of the times we don't bother.

> > Users should be able to see that Bugzilla is working. No matter what I
> > query there, I get  "Zarro Boogs found". I've yet to get any response
> > from a MandrakeExpert posting either.

> If we're such bastards, why don't you quit this place and go to
> somewhere else where people are more professional and have "zarro
> boogs", but this time because they all fixed them in a minute?
> I'm sure all our competitors are like that.

Just because we know you are imperfect doesn't mean there is someplace
better we can go.
--
". . . . in everything, do to others what you would have them do
to you . . . ."                                        Matthew 7:12 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/