List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    [Cooker] Beta 4 VERY Hard Lockup on floppy copy - YIKES!!
From:       kim marshall <kmarshall () ameritech ! net>
Date:       2002-08-31 4:15:33

This may already have been reported.  Sorry, but I would not know.  Because I lost a \
great many e-mail due to an  unrelated computer problem so I would not know if it \
had.

Twice now I have managed to Lock my computer up hard.  Very Hard.  Keyboard is \
locked.  Both the Caps Lock and Scroll  Lock lights are flashing continuously  The \
mouse is dead and I cannot function key or escape to another log in.  The  only \
alternative that I have found is a computer reset.  As I say this has happen twice.  \
I think the same scenario  caused both except the first occurred almost two nights \
ago when I was very focused on a completely different and  unrelated problem with a \
different computer (Windows actually).   The second just occurred and I remember it \
with very  good detail.

I was trying to copy a file from my hard drive (FAT32 C drive partition) to a FAT \
floppy so that I could solve this  problem on the WIN machine.  What I did was to \
                drag the file in Konqueror from the files list on the right onto the
/mnt/floppy  icon in the directory tree at the left.  In both cases the copy \
procedure started as though it was going to  function correctly and then soon after \
the copy progress dialogue popped up the system Hung Hard!!  Of course Linux  fsked \
the drives on reboot and I do not think there is any real damage.  Thank God for a \
                journalizing filling system.