List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] and what about a kernel especially for laptops ?
From:       James Gregory <james () linuxaus ! com>
Date:       2002-08-31 3:16:26

On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 23:39, Florent BERANGER wrote:
> Le Jeudi 29 Août 2002 15:26, Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
> > Le Jeudi 29 Août 2002 15:00, Florent BERANGER a écrit :
> > > A kernel without desktop modules -> faster start.
> >
> > What do you call desktop modules ? those corresponding
> to hardware which
> > isunlikely to be found on laptops ?
>
> yes

I don't know about excluding modules, but I for one would be thrilled to
see a mandrake kernel patched with the current ACPI stuff, or a working
version of acpi or something. Likewise, I heard rumours some time ago of
a patch for the kernel that modified the disk-cache flushing algorithm
to extend battery life on laptops. There's also the soft-suspend patch
which would be great.

> ok. In fact, I find the start too long and I try to find
> ways to make it start faster (I don't have many services
> at startup).

do you have a dhcp timeout specified?

one thing that would help boot up times (as I understand it) would be a
move to dependency based init scipts - that way stuff could start in
parallel which (theoretically) improves boot times.

Just my 2c.

James.