List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    [Cooker] Re: [CHRPM] e2fsprogs-1.27-4mdk
From:       Tibor Pittich <Tibor.Pittich () phuture ! sk>
Date:       2002-08-31 14:00:21

On 29. aug 2002  20:00, Juan Quintela wrote:

> Name        : e2fsprogs                    Relocations: (not relocateable)
> Version     : 1.27                              Vendor: MandrakeSoft
> Release     : 4mdk                          Build Date: Thu Aug 29 19:42:43 2002
> --=-=-=
> * Thu Aug 29 2002 Juan Quintela <quintela@mandrakesoft.com> 1.27-4mdk
> - really use a new version this time.
> - extended atributes support 0.8.21.

first of all, i must wrote that i'm shocked, maybe i'm blame without
knowing background, but see what hapend me..

yesterday i upgrade e2fsprogs package to latest version from cooker, and
today, after two reboots i have two fatal disasters on my ext3
partitions..

first warning: about filesystem incosistency i'm respected, and allow
fsck to run across partition with result - totally destroyed partition,
and after all tests totally clean partition with lost+found directory
only :( fsck told me, that problems are on ../ directory, which was
(imho) error in fsck prog.

second warning: i'm not allowed run fsck , because it was my /home
partition.  i check changelog and see, that new e2fsprogs use new
version which is released, according e2fsprogs homepage, only today!!
maybe there is bugs, or some incompatibilities, but i remove newer
package and replace with older 1.27-2 from beta2 release.. after new
checking filesystem has still some errors, but on first look not fatals
as in first step, but after finishing fsck i have too destroyed ext3
partition...

it is possibly, that there is my local problems, and this is not related
to not knowing ext3 bug, or imcompatibility with my kernel (i use
2.4.19-3), but if i check changelog for kernel in 2.4.19-6 i see this
lines:
- add new extended attributes to ext2/3 0.8.26 (FE01)
- add new acl to ext2/3 0.8.28 (FE02)

didn't forget developers that cooker is in freeze state, and new
functionality is not allowed to add? or i'm not read carefully discusion
about cooker freezing?

p.s.: my respect to juan and his work for kernel developing and i want
underline, that maybe i'm wrong about this mail. but reality is, my
reiserfs partitions still works without any problems..

--
Linux 2.4.19-3mdk
Mandrake Linux release 9.0 (Cooker) for i586