List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    [Cooker] General comments and some bugs
From:       David Grant <david.grant () Telus ! net>
Date:       2002-08-10 19:41:30

Wow, the install of 9.0beta2 was simpler than it has ever been before.
 I especially like the new XFree86 setup.  Just a couple coments:

1) My network card is sort of detected twice.  It's probably not
detected twice, but from the GUI dialogs that pop up, it seems like it
is.  The message I get is:

"Found National Semi | DP83810 10/100 Ethernet network/main interfaces.
 Do you have another one?"

When I click "no", the same question comes up again.  I press "no"
again, and then finally the installer moves on...

BTW, this has been around since 8.1 I think.  Can be very confusing for
a new user, and makes an experienced user scratch their head a bit too.

2) For the language selection screen, there is something that has come
to annoy me after installing Mandrake about 20 times since 8.0:
Can we just have one list for users to select the languages, and then
allow the user to select their default?

3) During the first boot, and every boot thereafter, I get a "FAILED"
(in red letters) message on the F1 virtual terminal/screen, but when I
press F4, F12, F11, or whatever, there is no failed there?  All I see is
"OK" (in green letters).  And on the F1 screen it doesn't even really
show what caused the FAILED, because there is nothing written directly
to the left of the FAILED.

4) Can the KDE defaults be made a little nicer?  This has always been
annoying to me.  For example can we increase the default mouse
accceleration to 4x?  How about making the icons in the Panel larger?
 This is changed in KDE Control Center -> LookNFeel -> Panel-> Position
-> Size.  I think that "small" is so butt-ugly, and medium is much
better.  Can we also add more default icons to the desktop?  Like how
about putting rpmdrake on the desktop?

5) Complaints/bugs about rpmdrake:
-About rpmdrake, every time I install a package, it exits after
installing a package.
-How can I search via description or name?  there is no option to toggle
this as before
-How do I know which packages I've selected for installing so far?
-Why do we have 4 menu entries for rpmdrake derivatives?
-Why not have one central GUI like before?  I don't see what was so
wrong with the old rpmdrake that you had to change it.

6) Harddrake bug
-Harddrake fails on boot up.  In /var/log/boot.log it says "harddrake:
failed "
-When you click on a device in the scrollpane, the scrollpane
automatically jumps to the top of the list, while leaving the
just-clicked item selected.  Very annoying.

Thanks for a great install though!  And most things I've tried so far
work great.  (I like the new Mozilla fonts package!)

David Grant