List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    [Cooker] 9.0 beta 1 report (runinstall2 freezes during package selection phase,
From:       Aleksander Adamowski <olo () altkom ! com ! pl>
Date:       2002-07-29 17:50:43

   This Saturday I've decided to try and upgrade one of my machines
running Mandrake 8.2 to 9.0 beta1.
I want to share my experiences since I've discovered a number of bugs
(and failed to complete the upgrade because runinstall2 hung during the
"Choose packages to install" phase):

I have a dual-boot machine running Windows 2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2.
It's a Pentium III 550 on Abit BH6 motherboard, Ati All-In-Wonder 128
video card, USB Wheelmouse.

My disks/filesystems layout:

# mount
/dev/hda7 on / type reiserfs (rw,notail)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hda9 on /home type reiserfs (rw,notail)
/dev/hda5 on /mnt/ntfs type ntfs (rw,noexec,iocharset=iso8859-2,umask=0222)
/dev/hda1 on /mnt/win_c type ntfs (rw,noexec,iocharset=iso8859-2,umask=0222)
/dev/hda6 on /mnt/win_e type vfat
(rw,noexec,iocharset=iso8859-2,codepage=852,quiet,showexec)
/dev/hdb5 on /mnt/win_f type vfat
(rw,noexec,nosuid,iocharset=iso8859-2,codepage=852,umask=0,showexec)
none on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hdb2 on /usr type reiserfs (rw,notail)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw,devmode=0664,devgid=43)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)

# df
/dev/hda7              2096380    982956   1113424  47% /
none                    192432         0    192432   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda9              2248992   1316052    932940  59% /home
/dev/hda5              1052224    824442    227782  79% /mnt/ntfs
/dev/hda1              2096450    626806   1469644  30% /mnt/win_c
/dev/hda6             21869792  19101648   2768144  88% /mnt/win_e
/dev/hdb5              5234940   3095688   2139252  60% /mnt/win_f
none                    192432        12    192420   1% /tmp
/dev/hdb2              4642636   2766848   1875788  60% /usr

I've generated a list of all the packages installed on that system (it's the
output from "rpm -qa", created before the upgrade attempt), you can access
it at
<http://olo.office.altkom.com.pl/domowa/qa/mandrake/upgrade_8.2-9.0beta1/rpm-qa>.

After making a backup of my MBR and bootsectors with dd, I've put
Mandrake 9.0 beta1 CD1 into the drive and booted from it.

1. The first glitch I've encountered was the progess bar that is visible
after pressing <enter> on the initial welcome screen - the progress bar
has expanded too far to the right, beyond the the boundaries of the area
it shound fill. Just a minor visual glitch.

2. [Known issue on this list] After the initial screen, the installer
switched to text mode and presented a cryptic, unexpected ncurses-style
dialog box that read:
"You are starting the installation with an alternate booting method.
Please change your disk, and insert the installation disk.
[OK]"

After pressing [OK], a new dialog showed up that read:
"Please choose the installation method.
FTP server
HTTP server
CDROM drive
Hard disk
[OK] [Cancel]"

It was strange, since I was booting the installer from the CD, it
shouldn't ask such questions in normal installation mode (those should
be reserved for special installer modes that are chosen after pressing
<F1>, not <Enter> on initial screen).

Anyway, I've selected "CDROM drive" and continued. I've selected Polish
language for installation, and Expert Upgrade installation class.

I've made lots of screenshots with the F2 key during the installation in
case they would prove useful in debugging. You can see my hardware info
at<http://olo.office.altkom.com.pl/domowa/qa/mandrake/upgrade_8.2-9.0beta1/install_attempt3/DrakX-screenshots/4.png>
 and dmesg at
<http://olo.office.altkom.com.pl/domowa/qa/mandrake/upgrade_8.2-9.0beta1/install_attempt3/dmesg> \

.

3. On the first virtual console (CTRL-ALT-F1), among other lines of
logging output, there was an error message:
GLIB-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to: No such user 0.

4. When choosing security levels, the Paranoid security level is
described as being based on the previous security level. However, the
previous 3 levels are ordered decreasinngly, and the Standard level
precedes Paranoid (the order is Higher, High, Standard, Paranoid). I
don't suppose Paranoid is really one level above Standard? IMO, the
order should be ascending from Standard, through High and Higher, up to
Paranoid.

5. Finally, when installer proceeded to "Choose packages to install"
stage, it hung.
At the first attempt to upgrade (I've made 3 of them) I've waited for
over half an hour, all that time the installer was showing the
"Searching for packages to upgrade" messagebox, and when I ran top and
ps in the BusyBox on the 2nd console, I've discovered that all CPU time
is utilised by a runinstall2 process: "/usr/bin/perl
/usr/bin/runinstall2 --method cdrom". See full ps an top output at
<http://olo.office.altkom.com.pl/domowa/qa/mandrake/upgrade_8.2-9.0beta1/install_attempt1/ps> \

.

In /tmp/ddebug.log, I've seen numerous messages about unknown packages
(you can see all the logs I've kept at
<http://olo.office.altkom.com.pl/domowa/qa/mandrake/upgrade_8.2-9.0beta1/install_attempt1/>).
 Here are the lines from the log that I consider most meaningful:

* read 737 packages in hdlist3.cz
* psUsingHdlists read 2105 headers on 3 hdlists
* rebuilding rpm database
* opened rpm database for examining existing packages
* getFile Mandrake/base/rpmsrate:
* unknown package `WMRack'
* unknown package `blackbox'
* unknown package `wmakerconf'
* unknown package `xbanner'
* package xlockmore appearing twice with different rates (4 != 3)
.
.
.
<snipped lots of lines>
.
.
.

* unknown package `speedtouch_mgmt'
* unknown package `Device3Dfx'
* unknown package `XFree86-Sun'
* unknown package `XFree86-SunMono'
* unknown package `XFree86-Sun24'
* getFile Mandrake/base/compssUsers:
* selecting packages to upgrade

The last line shown above is the last entry in ddebug.log before the
installer hung.

During the consecutive attepts to upgrade to 9.0 beta1, I've tried
choosing the standard English (instead of Polish) installation language,
or Recommended (instead of Expert) installation class. Installer always
hung on runinstall2.
However, at such early installation phase the existing installation of
Mandrake 8.2 isn't modified, so I still have a functional 8.2
installation on that machine.

All of the debugging material I've collected during those sessions is
available from my homepage at
<http://olo.office.altkom.com.pl/domowa/qa/mandrake/upgrade_8.2-9.0beta1/> .

Regards,

--