List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] performance and mandrake .
From:       Thierry Vignaud <tvignaud () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-07-26 13:03:01

David Walser <luigiwalser@yahoo.com> writes:

> > well, i686 has already -march=i686 which implies mcpu=i686.
>
> Cool, I didn't know that.  Is this documented
> anywhere?  Is this true of other -march ones?

man gcc:

   -march=cpu-type
       Generate instructions for the machine type cpu-type.
       The choices for cpu-type are the same as for -mcpu.
       Moreover, specifying -march=cpu-type implies
       -mcpu=cpu-type.

> > why not just you alter them in your .rpmrc ?
>
> That's easy enough for me to do, but newer Linux users aren't going
> to know to do it.

newer linux users won't build packages :-)
moreover, if they don't know how to alter this, or how to find how to
alter it, the odds're high that if there're bugs due to compilation
with no std mdk flags, they'll blame us :-(

so let advanced users alter it and newbies build safe packages if they
do build some.

> There's no good reason to have it the way it is now,

this is a good reason :-) :