List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] drak tools (was: xfs missing drakfont/ttf entry)
From:       Danny Tholen <danny () mailmij ! org>
Date:       2002-04-14 12:08:03

> Btw, what is MandrakeSoft's strategy now when tools similar to drakfont,
> XFdrake and printerdrake are included in the desktop environments?
> Of course it's nice to have a DE independent control panel, but do you
> really have the resoures to give all the drak* and *drake tools the
> attention that they need?

I hope they are dropped from draktools ASAP. Because I'm pretty sure there are no \
resources to maintain them. Look at fontdrake and harddrake. Both or not improved \
anymore and you you really need to press people to incorporate fixes in them, because \
they have other things to do.  One of the disturbing thing is that many draktools \
seem to live for a few months and then end up unmaintained or obsolete.

Hopefully there can be a focus on maintaining an improving some really usefull tools \
instead of redesigning harddrake, fontdrake, rpmdrake etc again and again from \
scratch.

Also, a good approach would be to take a KDE config tool and build a gtk/curses \
front-end for it and vice-versa. In that way u still can use it under multiple \
environments. Trouble is that this is not always very easy.

Danny