List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    [Cooker] Re: Re: Re: gtk+2.0-2.0.0-1mdk
From:       "Brian J. Murrell" <cooker-in () interlinx ! bc ! ca>
Date:       2002-03-30 17:28:46

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 03:58:15AM +0800, R.I.P. Deaddog wrote:

> I've thought about this for quite some time; but now I think
> it's quite impossible to use alternative or any sort of trick
> here.

Why?  Before I upgraded my set-top-box a la Mandrake box to 8.2, I had
gtk-linux-fb running on it just fine.  I didn't build an RPM but I did
a make; make install and then when I built my set top application it
worked fine.

> Whether applications link with gtk-linuxfb or gtk-x11 is
> decided on *BUILD* time,

Right.

> so it can possibly break everything
> if you switch backend without rebuilding apps.

Of course it can.  I don't have an expectation to switch to
gtk-linux-fb and still have all of my gtk-x11 (i.e. default Mandrake)
apps still work.  In fact, I expect that when I switch to
gtk-linux-fb, I had better not have any gtk-x11 dependencies (which,
fortunatly because the libs are actually different names, implicit
dependencies will work!) or I will have to force it, in which event I
still don't expect any gtk-x11 apps to work.

You see, the point here is to make a set-top-box which will not run an
X11 display and which will not run the normal gtk/gnome type apps.
All apps which display on the linux-fb will be custom and built with
gtk-linux-fb.

> (it's just my
> claim, actually I can't get through the gtk+ barrier; dare
> not build anything beyond gtk using linux-fb target)

Have you tried 2.0.1?  The release notes for 2.0.1 says that linux-fb
target now compiles again.

> PS I'll try it when I have some time

Appreciate it.  Please don't think that those wanting gtk-linux-fb
have great expectations that it will be a drop in replacement for
gtk-x11 and make Mandrake run on a framebuffer as well as it does on
an X11 display.  gtk-linux-fb would be for a completely differnet
reason than running Mandrake desktop.

It actually opens Mandrake up to a new market -- set top boxes.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell