List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] request: ide-cd compiled as module
From:       Doug McClendon <filteredperception () sbcglobal ! net>
Date:       2002-03-07 21:42:08

>>Pros: You can on the fly decide whether you want your cd burner to be
>>recognized by the ide-cd driver, or the ide-scsi driver.  * no more kernel
>>command line args needed for cdburner to work *
>>

>Afaik the kernel needs the boot option to recognize it as scsi.
>But what exactyly would be the pro to be able to switch between ide or scsi?

The kernel needs the option because ide-cd is initialized at boot (not
during module load).  Therefore
it will 'claim' the cdburner for itself unless preempted by a command
line argument.  If however
ide-cd is a module, it can either be not loaded, or rmmod'd, and the
subsequent loading of ide-scsi
can claim the cdburner without the need of "hdx=ide-scsi".

I haven't looked into the issue comprehensively, such as how with
modules, to get one device
working with one driver, and another with the other.  I did try for a
while just nuking the ide-cd
driver, but it seemed like the ide-scsi(and sr_mod) did not work as well
across the board with
all cdroms as well as the ide-cd driver.

-dmc