List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] sound card problems, audioexcel 515M
From:       mandrake () gory ! org
Date:       2002-03-07 21:35:15

On Thu, 07 Mar, at 16:10:48 +0100, Thierry Vignaud <tvignaud@mandrakesoft.com> done said:
> "Robby Stephenson" <parys@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > I've got nothing in /dev/sound. There's no /dev/snd or /dev/asound,
> > which I thought would be there for alsa. There's no /dev/dsp or
> > /dev/mixer which are old oss holdouts, I believe.
>
> as usual, lspcidrake -f -v.
> have you enabled both alsa & sound services ?
>
> you can try both snd-card-cmi-pci or cmpci modules

Well, I was able to get around the problems I was having in beta{2,3}
with sound on my VAIO laptops (ymfpci kernel module) by hacking
modules.conf, but I am having *NO* luck in doing so in beta4!

No matter what kernel I boot into, devfs or not, I can't get any sound.
The only adjustment aumix has is for Mic.  Not good.  The kernel
module's loaded (using the default method as well as the work-around I
had for the earlier beta releases) and '/etc/init.d/{alsa,sound} status'
both say that sound's loaded.

In my case, with the stock 2.4.18-2mdk kernel, there _is_
/dev/{dsp,mixer}, but no /dev/sound or /dev/asound (if that matters).
Quite frustrating.

-Charlie
--
GPG Key fingerprint = 4F36 EC4F 2F2C 5F59 9690  09E5 4C0F 9DB0 8623 53CE
Practical politics consists in ignoring facts.